[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - The people's Top 18

The people's Top 18

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: The people's Top 18

Postby JP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm

I think pretty much anyone that is still posting here should vote. Moe and Ron might abstain since it's "The people's" but I hope not. Certainly foreleft needs to rate. I have a lot of respect for his opinions.

I guess another possible inclusion could be the Players club of Henderson and Peninsula although I have never played the course in Henderson. I have heard good things though.

docugs we may be OK with Wasioto then because I know that Doug and A-Dub have both played there. Moe has if he participates, ditto for Ron obviously. Maybe cesmal with all his travel and rounds has made it as well.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Players club of Henderson should be out, The guys who leased it from Danny this year walked away and put no money into the course at all for upkeep.The Course is supposedly in such bad shape that Danny just had to take a trip down there last month And he took Jeff benedict down with him to figure out what they need to do to help the course rebound.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Interesting... I just tried to go to the Players Club website and was redirected to a Cambridge Golf Club website in Evansville. Is that another McQueen property? It says it's a Tim Liddy design so I'm guessing it's fairly nice.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:58 pm

There are a few of us that get to play privates regularly, but its the same ones with certain connections. Jeff and Gump, who really don't post anymore, are pro's that could get on. I used to be a pro and got on then and still have my connections from that time. Jason and maybe 3jack (who doesn't post anymore) get on privates with Gump. Moe knows people here and there and I don't know who else has the connections to consistently and accurately rate privates. It's not really about work, its about who you know when you get on privates. I think there is a place on this site for a private ranking, but I don't think it is the main focus rating for this site. That lies with the publics. However, a private rating being available is a good idea. Then maybe a special notation for "the courses you can get on" that are easily accessible like your Big Blue, Persimmon, Olde Stone with their packages, etc.

I'm on the fence about the Southern Indiana courses. We probably feel like we want to because they are close and make Louisville area golf better, but if you include those, you should include Cincy courses, Virginia, Tennessee, etc. If you open up one you open up them all. Actually, after I talked about that, I am against SI courses. I could be convinced otherwise at some point though.

Gibson Bay should definitely be in it. Nevel Meade is not on the list either and they should be. You could throw Maywood on there, its not bad. I could go either way on it. I don't remember The Bull being on the top 18, and it definitely should be in consideration. The Bull might be my "darkhorse." Is Seneca worthy? For what it is, it's pretty damn good. Probably does more rounds than any course in the state too.

Lafayette is one that is high and will probably come off. I've heard too many bad things about it and does anyone play it anymore?
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:58 pm

We'll do Kentucky courses only.

Anyone can vote as long as they've played a course. We're rating each one on a 1-5 scale across several categories, so there's no need to have played a lot of tracks, since you don't have to rank them against each other or anything like that.

I'll leave Big Blue up to the board. It's not public, but if the group considers it accessible enough for inclusion I'm willing to put it up for voting.

Here's what's on the list of nominations so far (several submitted by PM):

Cherry Blossom
Dale Hollow
Duckers Lake
Eagle Ridge
Eagle Trace
Fox Run
GBJ @ Picadome
Gibson Bay
Griffin Gate
Heritage Hill
Hidden Cove
Houston Oaks
Kearney Hill
KY Dam Village
Lafayette
Lassing Pointe
Maywood
Mineral Mound
My Old Kentucky Home
Nevel Meade
Old Silo
Peninsula
Quail Chase
Seneca
Stonecrest
The Bull
UK Club (Wildcat)
Wasioto Winds
Weissinger Hills
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Submitting by PM is a cop out. Own up to the fact that you submitted Duckers and MOKH even though they have no business being there. I have played Duckers. Give me a break.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Hahaha.

I like Duckers ok though. And it's always in really good condition and is relatively scenic, so maybe it could make things interesting. I wouldn't bet on it making the final 18 personally, but it'll at least give us something to debate...
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cobra » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:43 pm

cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Duckers? If that backyard patch is on the list then Eagle Creek, Perry Park, and The Willows should be on the list. All much better than Duckers. Charlie Vettiner is better than that too. I like Weissinger better than Duckers and it should not be on the list either. More the merrier, I guess. So I would nominate those four if Duckers is going to stay on the list. Other than that whine. Good work guys. I like the subject.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 pm

I will add a few for consideration yet unmentioned.

General Burnside
Doe Valley
Rosewood
And if it EVER was in good condition The Oaks at Flatwood

Wouldn't necessarily put them Top 18, but Duckers, I ask you?

I also wanna ask about 9-hole courses. Not to rate with these, but perhaps a few to recommend. I liked Kincaid Lake more each time I played it. And now recently you guys have mentioned one east of Lexington of which you seem to think well. Any more?
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am

Doe Valley would be in the top 18 if it were ever in condition. Really good design on a nice property. I played Rosewood once. It was decent. Hard to get to, but a solid course. I have not played Burnside, but I am rooting for it to suceed.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:34 pm

I agree with basically everything foreleft said. I was going to mention Weissinger in my earlier rant, but I know some people are funny about that course. Perry Park and Eagle Creek should definitely be in the running if Duckers is on there. I haven't played the Willows course, so I can't speak on that. I'll throw out a nod to Henry Co. CC and Shelbyville CC on those as well. Maybe even Indian Springs, Vettiner, and Glenmary.

Burnside could definitely be a viable candidate. They should certainly be there.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:33 pm

My point exactly.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:39 pm

The key is that we need to nominate only courses that people feel could be Top 18. I get that Duckers, and even Weissinger are weird nominations, but someone does actually believe they deserve Top 18 consideration. No one really believes Indian Springs or Glenmary have any chance of making the Top 18, and therefore they don't belong. It's not about them being in the same league as some of the other nominations, it's about someone actually believing that they're potential Top 18 courses.

Courses like Perry Park probably should be on the list, provided that someone would rank them in their personal Top 18, or at least very close. Courses on the bubble belong (there are still a few that haven't been mentioned that I'm surprised by), because that's the only way we get a list that's different from what we already have. But we shouldn't nominate things just because we think they're better than one of the other nominations. Nominate courses you really believe could crack the final list, and if you think someone else's nominations are odd then you'll have a chance to let your vote speak.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews