[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - The people's Top 18

The people's Top 18

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: The people's Top 18

Postby foreleft » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:13 am

I would really like to nominate The Willows. And why is our #1 ranked muni, Eagle Creek, on the list? I would also suggest putting Big Blue on the list if you have wildcat on there. Even though I don't believe any privates should be on this list. We should do a seperate list for all courses. If privates are going on the list, I would like to nominate Olde Stone and Valhalla. Pretty sure they are top 18 courses.

Duckers is not even in the top 50 people. Unless you count the bar.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Ok, here are the categories I'm proposing we rate on from 1-5. Speak up if you think anything's missing or needs to be dumped.

Aesthetics – Is it scenic? Does the course “fit” its natural surroundings? Are the views unobstructed? Points off here for homes or buildings or power lines encroaching on the course, or other eyesores.

Ambience – Does the course feel “special”? Is it quiet? Is it a friendly, pleasant, or unique place to play in terms of atmosphere? Does it have intangibles that make you want to return? Points off here for loud highways, crappy customer service, pissy locals, and other things that negatively impact a course’s atmosphere.

Conditioning – Are the greens smooth? Do they run at the right speed? Are the fairways full? Does it play fast? Are the bunkers maintained? Points off here for slow or bumpy greens, dead spots in fairways, neglect, and unplayable bunkers.

Use of property – Does the course use its land well? Do natural slopes provide interest on shots? Are the course’s natural features used (water, trees, terrain, etc)? Does it drain well? Points off here for holes that ran out of room, constant drainage issues, unplayable slopes, wasted or misplaced features.

Risk/reward – Does the course give you opportunities to take a risk for some potential gain over the player who doesn’t take the same risk? Does the course extract a penalty if you fail? Does it make you want to hit dangerous shots? Points off here for forced conservative plays, cakewalk short par 4s and 5s with little danger.

Test of the full game – Can different types of players be successful? Does the course reward accuracy as much as it rewards distance? Is touch around greens as important as hitting strong full shots? Is putting as important as driving? Points off here for courses over-reliant on length, holes that don’t give short hitters a chance to put the ball in play, courses with interest tee to green but flat dull greens, etc.

Design variation – Is there a good mixture of short, medium, and long par 4s? Are the par 5s unique? Do you hit different clubs on the par 3s? Are there uphill and downhill holes? Are there doglegs left and right? Are different challenges present from one hole to the next? Points off here for repetitive shots, a ton of 380 yard par 4s, etc (note: It’s okay for a course to be cohesive. It’s ok if a course is “old school,” “wooded,” or “links style.” It just needs to present unique challenges throughout).

Memorability – Pretty simple: Do you remember it after you play it? Are there shots you replay in your head and think about before your next round? Do holes stand out for the right reasons? Points off here for forgettable holes or memorably bad holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Here's the updated list of nominated courses. The jury is still out on Big Blue. Is it public? My understanding is that Wildcat is open for public play and Big Blue isn't, but again, if other people think Big Blue is accessible enough to be considered public we'll put it on the list. Valhalla and Olde Stone aren't getting in, sorry.

Cherry Blossom
Charlie Vettiner
Dale Hollow
Doe Valley
Duckers Lake
Eagle Creek
Eagle Ridge
Eagle Trace
Fox Run
GBJ @ Picadome
General Burnside
Gibson Bay
Griffin Gate
Heritage Hill
Hidden Cove
Houston Oaks
Kearney Hill
KY Dam Village
Lafayette
Lassing Pointe
Maywood
Mineral Mound
My Old Kentucky Home
Nevel Meade
Old Silo
Peninsula
Perry Park
Quail Chase
Rosewood
Seneca
Stonecrest
The Bull
The Oaks at Flatwood
The Willows
UK Club (Wildcat)
Wasioto Winds
Weissinger Hills
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 am

As Far as Big Blue goes I don't care one way or another. I have had multiple members on here say they can get on no problem and that it is in fact public. Now I am a member there And will say Technically it isn't But I will admit that all you have to do is catch one of the guys in the right mood or pay and you can get on. Plus all the outings that they have on Mondays, and I would say that there is plenty of chance to play here.

I think that Danny is going to open both courses up in the future anyway. But there are enough people on here that has always talked about BB over the years and we use a pic of number 7 on the front page of this site we might as well vote for it. By the way no pics of wildcat on the site only BB.
So you all decide.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Huh...No photos....That made me go look. I can't figure out why there are no photos of Wildcat. I have a bunch. For some reason, they never made it to the Wildcat info page. I can assure you that was not a knock on the course. I honestly have no idea how that happened. Unfortunate oversight. When Wildcat originally opened I thought they had some Chicken shit holes, but when they came back in and reworked the course a little bit, they really did a good job of rounding it out. I still prefer BB, but nothing wrong with Wildcat in my opinion.

Since I know I played in a lot of scrambles at Wildcat, it's quite possible that I had some beers, got home and forgot to upload the photo page. :oops: I don't usually drink beer when I play, but in scrambles I do...played a lot of scrambles at Wildcat. :idea:

Ron
Ron
Site Admin

Postby wilma » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 am

'Drunken sailor' jokes abound, but here I will simply slightly disagree with our wayward leader. I actually liked Wildcat a bit better. More suitable to my love for tighter, more 'short-friendly' courses. Just a matter of taste. I enjoy both and they would both be in my Top 10 or so if included. Lucky Lexington.

Louisvillians needs to not forget Penn Run for their nominees. :P

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cobra » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 am

It might be worthwhile to locate a free website that allows customized voting/tabulation. Otherwise this might get unwieldy and overly cumbersome for you to keep track of, given the number of courses and categories. Take a peek at freeonlinesurveys.com. I am an idiot and it seemed relatively easy to me.
cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby JP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:05 pm

I see what you're saying. Survey monkey is a good one too. The thing is I think thurman wants to do this on site so that folks can share their rationale for their various ratings and we can reason things out a bit. Still it is a thought.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm gonna send the courses out in "foursomes," starting in mid-November. I'll introduce four for voting on a weekly-ish basis. That should let me keep up with the numbers pretty easily. I'll just keep track of the voting in Excel, so I should be able to tabulate results pretty easily.

We'll be set for the final list sometime around February or March. And yep, JP nailed it. I want us to talk and argue on here about what makes a course good or terrible.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

Its Official Big Blue will be public next year, I got the letter this morning. So Add it to the list to be ranked.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:48 pm

That's great news. I know one course that I'll be playing for the first time next year :D
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 pm

What about Wildcat? Still not sure which one I like the best. Both very good and usually in good shape.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby cobra » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:18 pm

cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:15 pm

I didn't even know that Wildcat was public. Good to know. Big Blue and Wildcat are for sure top five in Lexington. We have it pretty good in the Bluegrass state. Wish I could get to UKville more often. I still have not played that one with all the names that big Jeff pros at.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews