The people's Top 18

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: The people's Top 18

Postby thurman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:34 pm

It's good to see some of our less frequent posters participating, which is what I was hoping this would do, along with keeping the board active during the winter months. But I'm surprised we haven't heard from Buck or Brandon or some of the other forum veterans, even if they're not as active as they used to be.. I'd also love to hear from either Fuqua or The Group that Hates Fuqua. Seems a little sad that we don't have either of those parties on the board anymore...
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I will try to rate the courses soon. The list of factors is a bit extensive for me. I play the white tees and i don't typically do any analysis of what it would be like to play from the tips. Likewise, I don't really look around and try to figure out if the land was used to its best potential. Not an expert in that area. I pretty much just play the holes, note the conditions and know whether or not I had a good or memorable experience and want to go back.

I do commend you, though, Thurman, for all the effort you have put into this.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Yes. Thank you Thurman. Excellent idea and well executed. I might suggest you slow down a little to let others catch up and make sure we make it through the winter.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:23 pm

cesmal wrote:I will try to rate the courses soon. The list of factors is a bit extensive for me. I play the white tees and i don't typically do any analysis of what it would be like to play from the tips. Likewise, I don't really look around and try to figure out if the land was used to its best potential. Not an expert in that area. I pretty much just play the holes, note the conditions and know whether or not I had a good or memorable experience and want to go back.

I do commend you, though, Thurman, for all the effort you have put into this.

Hey, I played from the front tees. In fact, one of the reasons I tend to like different courses than many is I evaluate based on the tees I always play. Many golf architects, especially in older times, seemed not to notice the front tees, and the hazards are not placed to affect/challenge those using them. The newer archis seem to have caught on.

As for 'use of land', I am the expect here! I promise you few ever have seen more of a course that I have. I can appreciate the design just peachy. In fact, my refrain to Joe's question "what the hell you doing over THERE" is "appreciating". :P

Bro, where the hell are you? You, at least, have been too big a part of this site not to take part. Ron? You too and even more so.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:10 pm

we should get all of the threads for the top 18 voting pinned up at the top of the page, so other unrelated posts don't creep up to the top.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Cesmal, we need perspectives from people who don't play the tips. After all, most of "The People" don't (or at least shouldn't...).

Two of my most frequent golf partners are a buddy who's a 6'4", 240 lb golf pro who carries his driver around 305 and my mother, who carries hers closer to 190. They obviously play from very different sets of tees. It's important that courses play well for everyone and not just for the elite players. That's one of the things that helps differentiate the courses at the very top of my all-time favorite list, and should be one of the things that differentiates our top 18.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:45 am

bump
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:21 am

I am not certain I am understanding correctly the point in our rating system. Here is what I mean.

We are trying to get a general view of what the Top 18 KENTUCKY courses are, correct? So I am rating aspects of them pointswise against each other. To wit: 1 = lousy, 2 = poor, 3 = average, 4 = good, 5 = excellent? Now: We are picking between courses we all nominated as among the best in KENTUCKY, right, not the best in the World! So should not a score of (3) be average? Should not, then, most of our scores be well above average, since we are rating to pick among our best courses? That is, we are rating our best against each other, not the rest of the World's courses.

I started by having pretty high scores to courses I thought were among the very best. But I feel my scores are being kind of driven down by others making even some very high quality courses[again, compared to the other 180 or so courses not nominated] rate quite mediocre. How can virtually any course we are dealing with have a lot of 1's and 2's? They were the 'pick of the litter'.

If we were rating them in a system that was Worldwide, My 39 at ER would be about 31-32, for example, with courses like Sand Hills and Cyprus Point being up in the 38-40 range. If that is what some of you understood was our purpose, let us clarify and I can change to adjust.

I am confused now as to what the numbers mean, though when we started I thought I understood.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby moe » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:45 am

As long as you are consistant with your use of the numbers ,
and I am consistant with my use,
it will all work out in the end. :shock:

Righr now I have Hidden Cove at the top, just above Dale Hollow and Eagle Ridge,
and Eagle Creek and Golf Club of the Bluegrass tied at the bottom.
I suspect you are very close to that. :wink:

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Moe's basically got it right. It helps if we all use the same scale because if I grade easier than kygolf99, and I've played a course he hasn't, that course gets an unfair bump. But really, that's sort of unavoidable with any subjective system.

This is posted in the intro post for every course:

If you've played it, you can rate it. Please use the following categories and rate on a scale of 1-5, as below (it's a tough scale, 3 is a pretty good score):

1 - Poor
2 - Okay
3 - Solid
4 - Very good
5 - Superb

I don't consider 3 average. In fact, I consider it pretty good. 2-2.5 is probably more average, but as you mentioned Doug, these are the best courses in the state so I'm still not giving all that many scores in that range.

I give very few 5s. A course needs to be damn near perfect in a category to get one from me. If a category has a single minor but noticeable flaw, that bumps it down to a 4. If it has some good things but a couple detractions, it's a 3. And if it's mediocre, it's a 2. I don't give many 1s either, but sometimes they're warranted.

I've only played one course in my life that I would give all 5s on this scale. Dale Hollow is my favorite course in Kentucky, and I think I rated it about a 32 or so. Mostly, I think we're all using the scale pretty consistently with each other, though we certainly don't all agree on every category.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:09 pm

I almost think that this is getting dragged out over such a long period of time that the top finishers need to be put up in order of how they finished, so that we can make any adjustments if we see fit. I try to use the same scoring system but if I see my list top to bottom in one place at one time I am sure that I would want to change a few around.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah no worries Doug. My ratings are relatively high compared to the others as well. I don't see where that should matter except in the case of a course that few have played (I call this the Mineral Mounds effect). For example I have only rated 10 of the courses so far because they are the only ones I've played. My ratings have ranged from 39 :shock: to a 20. I doubt anyone else will rate one as highly as I did ER but those 20s might turn out to be lower for someone else. It's all relative and should work out as long as each of us is consistent which I would imagine we would be. Some of us are just more free with our praise I guess.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 am

Hey! Wake up!

Dull time, plenty for thinking. Post some new courses to rate, please. Maybe all the rest.

Thanks for the idea.

Doug
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Dull time

Dull? Doug, haven't you been following the minute by minuite drama of "As the Lexington Muni's Turn"? They are under attack, as you know...

Just kidding guys, I know it's important. Just ready for some new topics, that's all.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:08 am

As for that, you should see the Cleveland golf website. Golf courses there are falling in droves, some really great tracks too. Hope you guys go out and play those courses you most want to keep, and tell your friends about them. Only way most of you can help, I guess.

Doug
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews